This won’t be a feel good post. Sorry. Just move on if you’re not up for a bit of negativity.
Sometimes I’m told I’m opinionated, overly critical. I think that is true while I also reject the automatic corollary that that’s a bad thing in every situation. As I often say, I’m not negative, I’m realistic.
Anyway, now for some negatives: things that annoy me. I wonder if you can relate?
- Typos (especially my own but also in a news article or even someone’s PhD dissertation).
- People who are resolutely — as I like to call it — happy clappy. By this I mean, they are so positive oriented that they deny that anything bad exists, sort of like the band playing while the Titanic is sinking. People who, when you point out that the Titanic is sinking, say the problem is with you, not the fact that the Titanic is sinking.
- People who ask questions as a way to make a point rather than in genuine curiosity.
- Those who assume that being an extrovert is inherently better than being an introvert. Even worse is when people peg you as one or the other, or those who swear by what personality tests tell them.
- Being forced to talk in the a.m. before I’ve had a chance to drink at least two cups of coffee.
- Anyone who doesn’t use their turn signal or texts and drives.
- Loud music.
- Those who oppose gun control.
- Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg.
- Apple’s nauseating product launch speeches and associated marketing.
- Those who take phone or even video calls while in public restrooms. Just, gross.
- Corporate speak. Also, academic speak.
- Being asked questions at bedtime, when my brain is struggling to shut down.
That’s enough negativity for now — I need to show some restraint 😉